UP Computer Science Interns' Blog

May 25, 2010

CRS Week 7 SVN Trouble

Filed under: crs_200716084 — jsbuddy17 @ 12:04 am

One of the troubles we encountered while making the project was using SVN. One problem was with a file that many of us was working with. What happened was, when I made an update with that file, I got a file with some lost lines of codes and no conflict was raised. Our solution was to diff the current revision with a previous revision which contains the lost lines and then add it to the new version. I had a hard time using the diff command of subversion. Mary solved the problem using tortoise SVN which has a better diff interface. The next day JC introduced us RabbitVCS which is an equivalent of tortoise SVN compatible with linux. From then on diff became easier and better 🙂

Another SVN problem that we encountered was when JC was trying to get updates from the trunk. JC thought of using merge command and what happened was our branch became a copy of the trunk. When we try to commit our previously present files a tree conflict occurs. We weren’t able to find a fix so we just made a new branch that has the revision before the merge. The next day JC successfully got updates from the trunk to our branch using Meld.


Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: